Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

PonyTale

Bright round dark globes outlined by long curling lashes stared at me, transfixed. When I looked at them, lush pink lips parted into a smile that melted my heart. I couldn't help but smile back. Hands started flapping. The little pony on top of the head bobbed, resembling a silken water fountain.
"Hi!" I said, instinctively turning on the coochicoo lingo. "whoozis little girl! Such a pwetty fountain you have on your head. Wassyour name, baby?" The mother came into my line of vision.
"His name is Aakash. He's a boy." She smiled at me radiantly.
"Oh!" I said, "but he's got a pony."  "Yeah. It's a genuine mistake."

Talk about gender stereotyping.

1 comment:

krist0ph3r said...

Hahaha happened to me, but worse still, it was my friend's son.

And I called him "her" while at their place and playing with him.

No saving myself from that :D