Pages

Monday, August 11, 2008

I Object

“80% is not bad at all. What are you going to do?”
“I want to take up Arts.”
“Arts? Why? You could easily get into a nearby college for science.”


“First year B.A., is it? Good, good. You must study hard. What are your subjects?”
“English Literature, Psychology and Sociology.”
“Oh that is excellent. Psychology has a lot of scope abroad these days. They need it too. Everybody is mad these days. Hahaha”


“You took up Literature? But you were interested in Psychology.”
“I changed my mind.”
“Oh, but Psychology had so much scope. What will you do after your graduation?”
“I want to teach.”
“You are going to be a teacher, huh? That’s nice.”


“M.A. Literature is it? That’s heavy. What are you going to do after this; become a teacher?Hahahaha”
“Yes.”
“You want to be a teacher? But you are intelligent? You could easily clear an IAS or something.”


“M.A. in literature must be very difficult, no? I don’t know why you girls like to study so much these days. Well, I guess it’s better than becoming a doctor or an engineer; or the new trend is to get into ‘PR’ or a reporter like that Barkha Dutt, or make advertisements. All such shameless jobs I tell you. You will become a teacher, I suppose. It’s the proper job for girls. No late night working; very light job. Career ka career and you get enough time for your family also, once you are married.”


When Jane Austen began writing novels, she did not consider it a job that will allow her to have a family life.

Aristotle was not just a teacher.

A successful teacher is one who is able to bring about a change in the students perception.

So, I am not just another girl with average intelligence, who did B.A., M.A. Literature and is going to become a teacher.

13 comments:

jhayu said...

My, my!!! I can see the feminism seeping from every single pore of your being. And all that repressed anger we all share for having the "Arre beta! You've become so big! Wow! What's that? You're doing arts? Oh." conversation.

Menaka said...

I still get that. I still bloody get the 'poor thing has such low ambitions in life' look

I dont want money... i hate hoarded money. So i dont care that i wont get paid much. And teaching is no joke... Why dont people understand these things??

jhayu said...

Ah, yes... That is the question... Why don't people understand these things... Congenital herpes, maybe?

Che said...

People understand it but wont admit it. They would rather live in denial that yes its ok not to think about making money all the time. Not to chase that promotion, that car or that house. It makes them uncomfortable about their choices and they hate that.

Did i make any sense?

Paradox Philic said...

I agree with Che...i figured this the harder way (as in why people dont understand that!!)

I wish i had someone like "Che" to facilitate this epiphany...much before going on that long road of realisation all by myself :)

Stick to your guns, girl!! You are doing the right thing. Right because your heart says so!

Menaka said...

yeah i will... and thanks... che, paradox philic u r all very nice

Mudra said...

I SO know what you mean. I wanted to teach (once upon a time, yeah) and I used to get all of this. Well, most, anyway. They couldn't ask me about why I'm doing BA/MA etc. What's with the "oh, light hours are good, time for family" thing?! People who really want to teach would teach even if it required them to do so at midnight!

Keetarp Aidonak said...

socretes was better than aristotle acc to me

Pratz said...

Interesting...

Shrey said...

I so get where you come from. Its their own insecurities that make people mock/ belittle another persons aspirations, especially if they are against the generally 'accepted' norms or possibly their own aspirations they suppressed?..

Anonymous said...

i guess you have ehard these enough; it is time for you to just grasp the humor in what that has been said and trash anything else.

try shocking these people who are good with quotable-quotes. say something back and make them choke.

you can do one more thing...see the truths hidden in what that have been said. an engineer, typically a techie is always burdened with deadlines and has to slog most days of the year. a doctor does not get to sleep a few nights in a week. a teacher does not have these work related stresses (exceptions are rare).

have you developed a sheepish smile? you can use that too, it earns some sympathy.

you can always read your jane austen but try to sqeeze in more from the life, as if itz a limboo.

and don't ahte money. if you have read jane austen's works carefully, all her leading ladies and the sidekick characters always looked out for single and monied men to get married with. if you see yourself yourself as a bohemian hippie, then you probably won't need a bank balance; if not, you certainly do.



hari om!

Menaka said...

Thanks to all those who have commented...
@keetarp
come to think of it, ur right. Socrates told people to think before accepting anything around them

@ Shrey
I think people are afraid of finding themselves, being responsible for their own decisions and really working hard

@abbaabba
Hari Om!

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled across your blog. After much silnet stalking, this was a post which coaxed me to comment. Being a literature graduate myself, I *so* know what you are talking about. Everything that we do, is expected to lead up to something bigger and dramatic goal in life. I could rant and rave more here, but I guess you do get the point. :) I feel for you sistaah!